The Best Way to Protect Sensitive Components in Harsh Environments
Hermetic Laser Sealing is the most durable and cost effective way to protect electronics in the harshest of environments in the most critical of applications: satellite microwave/rf packages, battlefield command and control systems, deep sea sonar and seismic sensors, and medical implants in the human body. The process involves preparing the assembly and then sealing it into a hermetically secure metal package using a computer controlled laser.
Application Advantages of Hermetic Laser Sealing
Highly Reliable – Laser welding provides an exceptionally durable seal, much more so than epoxy, soldering, or mechanical seals.
Won’t Damage Electrical Parts – Laser beams have a very narrow heat affected zone, so sealing can be performed in very close proximity to sensitive electrical components.
Oxygen and Moisture Free – Vacuum baked assemblies exhibit less that than 1 ppm (parts per million) oxygen and moisture – this is a level of performance that conventional epoxy, solder, and mechanical seals cannot possibly match.
Flexibility of Container Material – Because Laser Welding can join dissimilar materials and also crack sensitive materials, engineers have a wide range of material options to use in the packaging of the inner components.
Hermetic Laser Sealing Process
Our base procedure has five stages which insure maximum protection of the assembly and extremely low failure rates:
ESD/FOD Safe Environment – All parts and assemblies are handled in an electrostatic discharge (ESD) and foreign object damage (FOD) safe room to minimize stray electric charges damaging circuitry.
Vacuum Baking – Assemblies are baked in a computer controlled vacuum oven, resulting in less than 1 ppm of oxygen and moisture.
Controlled Welding Environment – After baking, assemblies are moved into a controlled gas environment which consists of Argon or Nitrogen.
CNC Laser Welding – Assemblies are sealed using a CNC controlled laser. The CNC control makes it possible for us to weld complicated cover shapes with relative ease.
Leak Checking – Hermetically sealed packages are inspected and checked for leaks using Pressure Bombing and Helium mass spectrometers, then carefully packed for shipment.
Hermetic Laser Sealed packages are invariably filled with expensive components and are almost always used in situations where failure is catastrophic. Accordingly, EB Industries has established and maintains the highest standards in the industry for this type of work.
- We are an ISO 9001:2015/AS9100 certified organization delivering international quality standards.
- We are ISO 13485:2016 certified for medical devices.
- Our quality control and inspection system is in compliance with the MIL-I-45208A standard and metrology program in accordance with MIL-C-45662A standards
All our technicians are highly trained and experienced. Additionally, they are supported by full engineering and maintenance staff, a dedicated quality control department and an in-house machine shop.
Our Hermetic Laser Sealing stations ensure a computer monitored and controlled process. Assemblies are maintained in a controlled environmental chamber from inert gas drying and vacuum baking to final seal with oxygen and moisture monitoring as well as weld parameter reporting. EB Industries has redundant systems and operators such that our production capability is never compromised.
- MBRAUN Lab Master 130 LW Glove Box Laser Welding System with 550W Lumonics JK 701H Laser. Integrated vacuum oven, soot removal, air dryer, moisture monitor, data logging (batch reports), and CNC 4 axis Aerotech 3200 motion.
- Pacific Precision Labs LSS900 Glove Box Laser Welding system with 550W Lumonics JK 701H Laser. Integrated vacuum oven, soot removal, air dryer, moisture monitor, data logging (batch reports), and CNC 4 axis Aerotech 3200 motion.
Our Laser Hermetic Sealing stations are located within our 650 square-foot FOD/ESD Controlled Environment. This environment is certified to Class 100,000 clean-room standards, US Fed STD 100,000, ISO 14644-1 ISO 8.
Add on Services
Parts that require Hermetic Laser Sealing often require additional processing before and after the parts are welded. EBI offers a wide array of services that match up with our hermetic sealing service.
- CAD/CAM Product Design and Weld Design
- Tooling Design & Fabrication
- Parts Cleaning & Assembly
- Strategic Sourcing and Subcontractor Contract Management
- Metallurgic Evaluations
- Leak Testing
- Destructive and Non-Destructive Testing
- Post Weld Thermal Treatment