Medical Welding – Instruments, Surgical Tools, Implantable Devices
For 50 years, EB Industrieshas been providing precision medical welding services to manufactures of medical instruments, surgical tools, and implantable devices. Our expertise with laser and electron beam welding are ideally suited to meet the exacting requirements of the health care industry.
Medical Device Industry Challenges
The medical instrument, surgical tools, and implantable devices industries have many unique requirements that can be specifically fulfilled by EB Industries.
Exotic Materials – Only certain metal alloys can be used for medical devices so as not to negatively impact patient health and safety. We have experience working with many different materials including the two that are used in the majority of medical devices including stainless steel and titanium. For a complete list, see our weldable materials page.
Fit for Function & Aesthetically Pleasing – Medical devices have to meet complicated design requirements in an aesthetically pleasing way, in order to give doctors and patients confidence with the quality of the device. The precision nature of EB Industries’ Laser and Electron Beam welding services are ideally suited for this purpose. Our engineers can help design low profile welds that have exceptional strength but are hardly visible, particularly after light secondary machining operations.
High Quality Standards – Medical devices can impact human life therefore there is absolutely no margin for error from a quality perspective. EB Industries has designed our business around welding and testing processes that essentially eliminate the chances of weld defects impacting completed parts or assemblies. In addition to meeting the standards of ISO 9001:2015/AS9100D, MIL-SPEC 45208A, and NADCAP, we also have been certified by some of the biggest names in the industry. For a complete list, see our industry certifications page.
Part Heat Sensitivity – Many alloys used for medical devices have high thermal conductivity and/or crack sensitivity which can make them difficult to weld. A small heat affected area is one of the key benefits to our Laser and EB welding services, as opposed to TIG and other techniques. We also utilize specialized heat sinking techniques to keep parts protected from warping and cracking.
Our Equipment and Expertise
At EB Industries, we believe the best way to serve our customers is to have an array of welding equipment available to meet the varied requirements of our customers. We also have multiple redundant systems and operators such that our production capability is never compromised.
- Three 150 KV Hamilton Standard Electron Beam welders with a maximum chamber size of 36″ high x 36″ wide x 76″ in length.
- IPG Photonics YLS-4000 continuous wave Ytterbium fiber laser with power ratings from 400 W to 4 kW with both continuous wave (CW), and pulsed operating modes.
- Lumonics JK 701H – 550 Watt Nd:YAG with PPL 4-Axis Laser Operating Control System Including Coordinated 3-Axis Concurrent Motion.
- Raytheon SS550 – 400 Watt Nd:YAG with Allen Bradley 8400 4-Axis Control, 3D Compound Curvature Capable.
- Trumpf HL-304 – 350 Watt Nd:YAG Laser with Aerotech 3200 4 Axis Workstation.
- Multiple laser tacking systems by Trumpf and LaserStar with power ranges up to 50 Watts.
- Each machine has enhanced computerized controls and CNC capabilities which allow us to tightly control the characteristics of the beam as well as the movement of the piece.
- Machines are operated by a dedicated and highly trained staff. Our operators have an average of 15 years of experience and undergo constant retraining and certification.
For more information on our equipment, please click here.
EB Industries has extensive experience working with a wide array of parts and components in the medical device industry.
|Alignment Guides / Rods||Ankle Clamps|
|Anterior Cervical Systems||Baseplate Impactors / Extractors|
|Bayonet Forceps||Broken Bone Screw Removers|
|Cannulas||Carpal Tunnel Knives / Probes|
|Cathode Assemblies / Subassemblies||CerviCore Disc Sizers|
|Craniofacial Distractors||Cutting Guides|
|Drill Guides||Femoral Head Calipers|
|Femoral Impactors / Extractors||Flexible Drive Shafts|
|Arthroscopic Instruments||Alignment Guides / Rods|
|Flexible Osteotomes||Head Holders – Spinal Deformity Systems|
|Headless Pin Extractors||Impaction Handles|
|Keel Punch Guides||Lumbar Inferior Endplates|
|MIS Femoral Flexion Impactors||Multiplanar Distal Radius Fixators|
|Proximal Rods||Rasp Handles|
|Resection Guides||Rotating Cutting Assemblies|
|Slap Hammers||Tibial Alignment Handles|
|Tissue Guides||Endoscopic Instruments|
View our Parts Showcase by clicking here.
Medical device and surgical tools require tight quality controls due the human life impacting aspects of our customers parts and assemblies. EB Industries utilizes a quality system that meets the highest industry standards. The accreditation and certifications that we have earned over the years prove our reputation and commitment to quality.
- We are an ISO 9001:2008 and NADCAP-certified organization delivering international quality standards.
- All our welding equipment and operators meet the requirements of the MIL-STD-1595A, AMS-STD-1595A, and AWS D17.1:2000 specifications.
- Our quality control and inspection system is in compliance with the MIL-I-45208A standard and metrology program in accordance with MIL-C-45662A standards.
- We have a long history of meeting proprietary or customer-specified quality standards.
- Our customers say the cleanliness of our facility, and our commitment to quality is unmatched in the industry.
For more information on our quality system, please click here
Add on Services
In addition to welding, parts for medical instruments and implants often require addition processing.EB Industries offers a wide array of services that make us a one stop shop for all your welding related services.
Pre Processing –
- CAD/CAM Product Design and Weld Design
- Tooling Design & Fabrication
- Package Assembly
- Strategic Sourcing and Subcontractor Contract Management
Post Processing –
- Metallurgic Evaluations
- Leak Testing
- Radiographic Inspection
- Non Destructive Testing
- Electrical Testing
For more information on our Add On Services please click here
Engineering Consultation and Quotations
We know the best solutions come from collaboration with our customers, and our engineering staff is available to you right at the beginning of your design process. Call now to consult with an engineer about your application at 1-631-293-8565, or fill out an online quotation request. There are also many technical resources available on our website.
Take advantage of the experience and know how that is the hallmark of EB Industries.